Tuesday, February 3, 2009

On hating hobbits

As I've noted before, I tend to like a lot of things that other people like, but for completely different reasons. I find this to be true with J. R. R. Tolkien. I honestly could care less about The Lord of the Rings. I think this is largely because of the novel-esque form of the story. But also because of the characters, namely the small ones. I don't mind dwarves. And I love men and elves. But, my God, I cannot fucking stand hobbits. And surely these little bastards are considered the core of Tolkien's world in most people's minds.

Thus I hate to mention that I even like Tolkien--i.e., his nonfiction, The Silmarillion, and so forth--for fear I'll be grouped with the people who like him for all the popular reasons.

C. S. Lewis at least is a little bit more elusive. Most people know he wrote more than just the Chronicles of Narnia.

And as I go through things in my head that I like, I keep thinking of all kinds of other examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment